Thursday, January 24, 2019

Following on the heels of my "no fingerprint" post with my glue gun.  Here are my suggestions for different types of glue and what kind of projects they work on.


Ever wonder what kind of glue to use on what kind of project? I do but I've narrowed it down to 6. In all the different type of crafting I do, I can get by with 6. I know there are lots & lots out there that claim all kinds of stuff and that's great. But why have 10 when in most cases these 6 will do? At least they do great for me and I've been crafting for 45 years.. I'm not an expert but I found these work for all the multiple projects I do.
So what are they?
First of course, my hot glue gun. Whether I use the mini or the regular size I use Gorilla Glue hot glue sticks. I find that the Gorilla ones tend once dried are dried extremely tight and things don't pop off and when you are selling crafts you definitely don't want things to 'pop off'.
Second is E 6000 which adheres to almost everything. It does dry somewhat slowly so what I do is when I am using this glue I put a dab of hot glue on too. That way it will hold it in place while the E 6000 dries. BUT do not use on styrofoam as I found out this last Christmas the E 6000 will melt it.
Aleene's Fabric Fusion Quick Dry is what I use on fabric and it works well. It doesn't dry too slowly but I found using clothespins to hold the project in place while it is drying is almost a necessity.
Tacky Glue for all things porous like craft sticks. I was recently making doll furniture out of craft sticks and it was much better than either hot glue or the E6000.
Then we have wood glue. I don't really have a preference in type. I just use it for all projects that are bigger than little doll furniture and are wood.
Last but by no means least is Mod Podge. My all time favorite product for decoupage on glass or wood. There are a variety of finishes, matte, glossy & glitter. They now even make outdoor that withstands water. I love this product and have tried making my own and it works and is cheaper but I don't like it quite as much. The 2 I keep around are matte and glossy.
Of course, always read drying times on the bottles and adhere to them or you might end up starting over. lol, I've been there done that.
I hope this helps some of you out there with questions about glues.

No comments:

Post a Comment